Dave Nelson is a Georgia-born, New York-based trombonist and composer. His solo projects use analog pedals to create hypnotic and compositionally-minded soundscapes. In This Day, an album of improvisatory looped pieces, documented Dave’s first foray into this new musical territory and he has since been performing the music to receptive audiences all around NYC. Dave is also a member of Pfarmers, a collaborative trio with Bryan Devendorf (The National) and Danny Seim (Menomena). Their debut album “Gunnera” was released in May 2015 with Dave’s contribution receiving praise:
The trio’s most engaging element is Nelson’s intricate and often startling trombone, utilized in diverse ways throughout. Whether it’s in the atmospheric gloom on opener “Benthos” or the propulsive, repeating lines of “The Ol’ River Gang”, Nelson emerges as the most exciting contributor to Gunnera.
~ Kristofer Lenz, Consequence of Sound
As a side musician, Dave has performed, recorded, and/or toured the world with a range of talented and popular artists including David Byrne & St. Vincent, The National, Sufjan Stevens, Vampire Weekend, Beirut, Bonobo, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, Jonsi, Martha Wainwright, and Spoon. He’s performed at many of the worlds best venues as well as on most major late-night TV shows including SNL, Colbert, Letterman, Fallon, and Kimmel.
In addition to his work in popular music, Dave performs regularly with today’s premier classical and new music ensembles in New York City including The Knights Orchestra, International Contemporary Ensemble, Talea, and Deviant Septet. In 2010, Dave played first trombone on the Broadway revival of West Side Story. He can also be heard on numerous film and television scores including the 2012 Sundance Winner Beasts of the Southern Wild.
As a composer and producer, Dave uses his skills as multi-instrumentalist to create eclectic musical works in his studio and often creates original scores for film and television. Recent projects include work for HBO, Saturday Night Live, and The Colbert Report.
- Divers, Joanna Newsom (2015)
- Wilder Mind, Mumford and Sons (2015)
- Synovial Joints, Steve Coleman (2015)
- Passerby, Luluc (2014)
- Cabaret, Escort (2014)
- Xenakis: Ensemble Works 3, International Contemporary Ensemble (2013)
- BrassTactics EP, David Byrne/St. Vincent (2013)
- Trouble Will Find Me, The National (2013)
- Triple Concerto/ Symphony No. 5, The Knights Orchestra (2013)
- Hummingbird, Local Natives (2013)
- Beasts of the Southern Wild Soundrack, Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)
- A Second of Silence, The Knights Orchestra (2012)
- Ten Thousand Things, Daniel Clay (2012)
- Son of Chamber Symphony, John Adams (2011)
- Hands EP, Emmanuel and the Fear (2011)
- The Age of Adz, Sufjan Stevens (2010)
- All Delighted People, Sufjan Stevens (2010)
- Go, Jonsi (2010)
- High Violet, The National (2010)
- New Worlds, The Knights Orchestra (2010)
- Towards The Unknown, Yusef Lateef (2010)
- Listen, Emmanuel and The Fear (2010)
- Sans Fusils, Ni Souliers, A Paris, Martha Wainwright (2009)
- Steamboat Bill Jr., Kenosha Kid (2008)
- Mark of Zorro, Paragon Ragtime Orchestra (2007)
- Projector, Kenosha Kid (2005)
- The Low Lows, Parker And Lily (2005)